The Legal Counsel will help leaders worldwide proactively manage risk and will provide general education related to risk management, work on enterprise-wide legal & regulatory projects, handle day-to-day legal matters, and manage external counsel.
Founded in 1985, BNI is the world’s largest referral networking organization. With over 10,800 chapters meeting every week in more than 76 countries, we have grown to over 290,000 member-businesses. BNI members meet each week to share qualified business referrals, to grow professionally, and to create lifelong relationships with like-minded business professionals. Strong leaders have unlimited professional opportunities. This is an exceptional opportunity for the right individual. To apply, click on this link BNI Legal Counsel.
Reporting to the CEO, and based at BNI’s Global Headquarters in Charlotte, the Legal Counsel will help leaders worldwide proactively manage risk. This individual will provide general education related to risk management, work on enterprise-wide legal & regulatory projects, handle day-to-day legal matters, and manage external counsel. This is an excellent opportunity to become an important part of a growing team and a growing company. High performers will have significant growth opportunities available to them.
- Learning BNI’s unique history, model, culture, and Core Values
- Building relationships with key internal stakeholders
- Leading and supporting the team of in-house attorneys and compliance teammates
- Advising executive members of both new and existing laws that impact the business
- Overseeing the legal matters of the business, including acting as the business’ legal representative, and leveraging expertise of external counsel where appropriate
- Maintaining knowledge of the company’s legal documents and operations
- Crafting and reviewing legal strategy in response to any litigation
- Facilitating filings of licensing forms and other statutory requirements; filing for copyright of intellectual property
- Assessing current practices and developing a roadmap to manage risk more effectively
- Implementing policies and controls to help the organization avoid distractions
- Providing general education throughout the organization on matters of importance
- Performs other duties as assigned
- At least ten years of commercial legal experience with at least five years of that being in an in-house setting in a senior role
- Experience in some or all the following areas: transactions, legal compliance training, intellectual property, HR matters, managing external counsel, vendor contract negotiations; experience with franchising law a plus
- Familiarity and comfort working within a growing global organization
- High sense of urgency and attention to detail
- Law degree with high grade point average
- Strong references, clean background, customer service orientation
- Professional demeanor with a sense of humility and sense of humor
- Excellent oral communication skills with a high level of professional confidence
- Used to working in a fast-paced, fun, and collegial environment
- Ability to perform some international travel
This is a full-time, exempt paid position. This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
BNI’s wonderful culture is based on Givers Gain® is lived out every day by our team and over 290,000 members globally.
Learn more at www.bni.com.
An equal opportunity employer